I am currently SUPER EXCITED because the Korean novels that I bought online last week just arrived in the mail a few days ago! On Shanna’s recommendation, I bought Big Bang’s biography 세상에 너를 소리쳐! I’ve already paged through a bit of it and I’m surprised how much I can understand. It’s awesome getting to know more about my favorite K-pop boys AND learn some new Korean words while I’m at it. Obviously reading prose like this is more complicated than reading 만화 so it’s sometimes a challenge getting through long, dependent-clause heavy sentences. But for a beginner, this can be great reading practice. I also bought 성균관 유생들의 나날 volume 1 – the novel that inspired one of my most favorite dramas ever Sungkyunkwan Scandal (KBS 2010). I’ve read a couple pages of this novel and I already know it’s WAY beyond my reading level. I’m usually okay with the dialogue bits but in the prose, I have to literally look up every other word. But it’s okay. I’m sure it’ll get better as my Korean improves.
I bought both of these books from HanBooks, a division of AladinUS which is the largest online Korean bookstore in the U.S., catering to Korean Americans who want to purchase products in their native language. The only issue with AladinUS is that the entire website is in Korean which may be difficult for some people to navigate. The HanBooks site, on the other hand, is entirely in English. You can find a variety of products – everything from popular Korean novels (written in Korean of course), 만화책, dramas, music, electronic dictionaries (like the iRiver Dicple), and even Korean language learning material. This site is a dream come true for people like me who aren’t willing to drive two hours to get to their nearest Koreatown bookstore. And although the pricing is in USD, it is possible for them to ship outside of the U.S. as well. More info:
- You can purchase pretty much any book, CD, DVD, etc. sold in Korea.
- If they don’t have it, you can get them to import it for you.
- Great customer service!
- FAST (if you live in the U.S.). Although it states on the website that your order ships between 5-10 days, my order was shipped in 3 days and I received it 2 days later.
- I was really excited about this: You can buy individual books from a book set. For example, 성균관 유생들의 나날 was actually packaged as a 2 volume set. I only wanted one volume so I just stated that in the “comments” section of the order form and the cost and S&H were adjusted accordingly.
- Products arrived in great condition. They were even bubble-wrapped even though they were just books.
- Pricey. The products are a bit more expensive than what they would originally cost in Korea and the shipping and handling cost is a bit high too.
- The website is outdated. Sometimes it’s hard to tell if certain products are in stock or not.
Overall, I give this store 4.9/5 stars!! It’s really great. I was so impressed with the speed of their delivery and the quality of the products. I’m looking forward to buying more from them in the future.